Employer Recruitment Policy
Table of Content
- Terms and Conditions of Use
- User Information
- Registration and Password
- Job Posting Policies
- Use of the Site
- Refusal of Service and Account Termination
- Changes to this Site
To ensure the quality of our services and to better assist Humber students, alumni and other users of our services, the Academic and Career Success Centre has established policies and guidelines for all recruiting activities sponsored by our office. We follow the Canadian Association of Career Educators and Employers (CACEE) Guidelines for Ethical Recruitment.
This document sets out terms and condition of use for ethical recruitment on Humber College Career Connect. These guidelines are intended to provide a framework for the professional relationships between employers, students, and career educators.
This page states the Terms and Conditions under which you may use Career Connect at Humber College. Please read this page carefully. If you do not accept the Terms and Conditions stated here, do not use this Website and service. By using this Website, you are indicating your acceptance of these Terms and Conditions. Humber College may revise these Terms and Conditions at any time by updating this posting. You should visit this page periodically to review the Terms and Conditions, because they are binding on you.
Humber College requires employers who use Career Connect to adhere to the Employment Standards Act, The Ontario Human Rights Code, and Occupational Health & Safety Act in their recruitment and employment practices.
All employers using Career Connect will only submit organization and personal details as well as job posting details that are accurate, true, not misleading or deceptive in any manner, and fully in compliance with all applicable federal, provincial and local laws (including laws prohibiting employment discrimination). All employer postings must be for actual opportunities in compliance with all applicable federal, provincial and local laws and
- May not contain any form of advertisement, promotion or endorsement, other than promotion of the job itself,
- Require any form of upfront payment or referrals to other candidates or
- Represent job postings that direct the user to a website other than the employer's website.
All employers are solely responsible for their own hiring determinations.
You agree to provide accurate and complete registration information, and it is your responsibility to inform Humber College of any changes to that information. Each registration is for a single individual only. You are responsible for preventing such unauthorized use and for maintaining the confidentiality of your account. You must notify firstname.lastname@example.org immediately if you believe there has been unauthorized use.
Humber College will not accept job postings that:
- Do not have an adequate job description, explanation of job duties, or applicant qualifications;
- Are in violation of provincial or federal laws. To learn more about the Employment Standards Act in the province of Ontario, please visit http://www.labour.gov.on.ca;
- Pay commission only or offer no base salary/no significant salary (except approved unpaid work placements);
- Involve invoicing for work completed;
- Involve unpaid or reduced pay for training with the exception of registered charities;
- Require the purchase of a service or product, a monetary deposit / fee or similar, as a condition of employment;
- Involve employment contracts or franchise contracts which charge a fee (i.e.: certification fee, licensing fee, equipment purchase, initial investment in a company);
- Are "club membership", distributorship or sales representative agency arrangements or other business opportunities which require up-front or periodic payments;
- Require recruitment of other members, sub-distributors or sub-agents;
- Require work that is multi-level marketing (MLM) in nature, or work for organizations that are pyramid-type or MLM in structure or forward pyramid schemes or similar programs;
- Are for the recruitment of replacement workers during a labour dispute; or
- Are from organizations where there are currently no available openings;
- Are from an employer that refuses to disclose the name of the company for which they are recruiting (third party recruiters - disclosure of the company name will be kept confidential).
While Humber Colleges encourages employers to compensate students for their work within the employers' organization, this may not always be feasible for the employer. The Ministry of Labour does allow for unpaid internships as long as the individual working is doing so for credit under a program approved by the College. When posting an unpaid internship, we encourage employers who are not able to pay a wage to consider other options including an honorarium (a 'thank you' payment of nominal value for voluntary services) as part of the job ad. Please contact a placement office for more details.
Unpaid Positions and Volunteer Postings
Volunteer opportunities will be accepted for posting if the organization is a designated non-profit organization (NPO) or a registered charity within Canada. NPO's are defined as clubs, societies, or associations that are organized and operated solely for social welfare; civic improvement; pleasure or recreation and / or any other purpose except profit.
Please note that formal volunteering is an activity which is:
- of benefit to the community and the volunteer;
- always a matter of choice;
- a way for individuals or groups to address human, environmental and social needs;
- not a substitute for paid work; and
- not a replacement for paid workers nor constitutes a threat to the job security of paid workers.
Job postings which are identified as unpaid and / or volunteer and which do not meet the criteria listed above will be declined for posting.
Personal services such as child care, homecare for the elderly or disabled, wedding photography, household maintenance, landscaping or interior design may be posted at the discretion of the Academic & Career Success Centre. You may be contacted prior to approval to provide more information.
You agree not to make any unauthorized use of the Site. You must respect the rights and integrity of others. You will not:
- Post content or take any action on the Site that infringes or violates someone else's rights or otherwise violates the law;
- Post content that is hate speech or hateful, harassing, incites harassment or advocates harassment of any group, company, or individual, or is defamatory, libelous, implicitly or explicitly offensive, vulgar, obscene, threatening, abusive, racist, discriminatory, of a menacing character, likely to cause annoyance, inconvenience, embarrassment, anxiety, contains nudity or graphic or gratuitous violence, contains pornographic, indecent or sexually explicit material of any kind, or contains material that exploits people in a sexual manner, incites or is violent or other manner, as determined by Humber College in its sole discretion;
- Post anyone's identification documents or sensitive financial information on the Site;
- Bully, intimidate, or harass any user;
- Develop or operate a third-party application containing alcohol-related, dating or other mature content (including advertisements) without appropriate age-based restrictions;
- Collect users' content or information, or otherwise access the Site, using automated means (such as harvesting bots, robots, spiders, or scrapers) without our prior permission;
- Contact other users in any manner or for any purpose other than that which is expected, solicit login information or other personal information from any other user, or send unsolicited mail or email, make unsolicited phone calls or send unsolicited faxes to any user.
We reserve the right at all times (but will not have an obligation) to remove or refuse to post content on Career Connect, to suspend or terminate users, and to reclaim usernames. Humber College reserves the right to remove or refuse any employer conducting recruitment activities on campus or on Career Connect included but not limited to:
- Non-compliance with these Terms and Conditions has occurred;
- Incorrect or misleading information has been provided;
- Humber College is unable to verify or authenticate any information you submit;
- There are founded complaints from students or college personnel regarding unethical or discriminatory recruitment or employment practices. To learn more about the Ontario Human Rights Code and its protected grounds, please visit http://www.ohrc.on.ca;
- The employment opportunity is considered by Humber College to not represent a viable work opportunity for students; and
- The behaviour or conduct of an employer in their involvement with the college represents unethical recruitment conduct and/or is deemed contrary to Humber College's policies and practices.
We also reserve the right to access, read, preserve, and disclose any information as we reasonably believe is necessary to
- Satisfy any applicable law, regulation, legal process or governmental request,
- Enforce these Terms, including investigation of potential violations hereof,
- Detect, prevent, or otherwise address fraud, security or technical issues.
The College may terminate, change, suspend or discontinue any aspect of Career Connect, including
- Changing the availability of any features at any time without notice or liability;
- Changing any fees or charges for use of the site, including instituting new or increased fees or charges for the use of the site or any other site-related services or any features thereof;
- Removing, adding, modifying or otherwise changing any content on or from this site; or
- Imposing limits on certain features and services or restricting your access to parts or all of this site without notice or liability for any reason whatsoever.
Humber College reserves the right but not the duty, in its sole discretion, to correct any errors or omissions in any portion of this site at any time without notice.
*Policy currently under revision.