Working On Campus (Work Study)
I am a Humber College FACULTY/STAFF looking to hire a Work Study student
Below you'll find important information on Work Study dates and processes. To download the full Work Study Program Hiring Manager Guide [PDF], click here. If you have any questions please contact us at email@example.com
FALL/WINTER 2021 - 2022 WORK STUDY CONTRACT DATES:
Fall/ Winter 2021-22: August 30th, 2021- April 30th, 2022
Summer 2022: April 25th, 2020- September 2nd, 2022
- Maximum working hours criteria: Up to 24 hours per week (Student must be attending classes full-time)
SUMMER 2021 WORK STUDY CONTRACT DATES:
New Hires: April 26th, 2021 - September 3rd, 2021
Rehires: May 3rd, 2021 - September 3rd, 2021 (if their existing fall/winter contract ends April 30th, 2021)
Maximum working hours criteria, if working:
- Up to 40 hours per week (Support Staff Appendix G- Student Summer Workers):
- a) student must be attending zero or part-time classes in the summer AND
- b) be returning to full-time studies in Fall 2021.
- Up to 24 hours per week (PT Support Staff- Student Employees):
- - student must be attending classes full-time in the summer.
HR - HUMAN RESOURCE MANAGEMENT SYSTEM (HRMS) TIMELINES:
HR understands there may be circumstances where it is not possible for contracts to be submitted by these deadlines. In those cases, HR will make every effort to work with Hiring Manager to process contracts in a timely manner.
Please refer to the payroll calendar for deadlines on when offers/contracts are expected to be accepted by in order to be paid on time.
The Work Study Program provides students with the opportunity to develop transferable skills through paid work on campus. The Work Study Program is needs-based and funded by Humber College.
To participate in the program, students must:
- Demonstrate financial need
- Be a Domestic student currently enrolled in studies (Canadian citizen, Protected Person, or Permanent Resident)
- Be a full-time student under OSAP's definitions (For most students, this means a minimum 60% course load; or 40% course load if registered with Accessible Learning Services Maintaining Work Study Eligibility)
- Maintain good academic standing in a ministry-approved post-secondary program
- Have a Social Insurance Number (SIN)
As a Work Study employee, Work Study students are required to continue to meet eligibility requirements throughout their student employment contract period. It is the student's responsibility to communicate change in eligibility with their supervisor.
Work Study eligibility checks will be conducted throughout the semester.
During Work Study (WS) employment, should a student become no longer WS eligible (ie. no longer in good academic standing and/or drops to Part-Time status during the fall/winter term), the WS contract has to be rolled into a part-time support contract or their contracts will have to be terminated. For students in this situation, please reach out to the Work Study team firstname.lastname@example.org
For more details on the hiring process, please refer to page 4 of the Work Study Program Hiring Manager Guide [PDF]. Scroll down to Resources for more Hiring Resources.
Students who do not meet the Work Study Program eligibility requirements (stated above) typically fall into the following student groups:
- International Students (who are not Protected Persons)
- Students enrolled in the following program credentials:
- Certificate of Participation
- Certificate of Completion
- Certificate of Achievement (includes Apprenticeship Programs)
- Professional Certificate
- Academic Upgrading
As a best practice, it is encouraged that hiring managers allot 20% of their student employee positions to support with hiring Non Work Study Eligible students. Please connect with your Budget manager to determine any approved funds available under the Salaries Part-time Support Account (6350). Non Work Study eligible students would be paid through this account.
Click here to access more information and resources for students who are Non Work Study Eligible.
REMINDER - If a student has completed their program of study by the end of the Winter 2021 semester and is not taking summer courses or coming back in the Fall for full-time studies, they are not eligible for Summer Work Study approval/opportunities.
For Humber College students:
- Students can access the Work Study application by visiting humber.ca/myhumber, logging in, selecting "Student Awards & Financial Aid". Then selecting "Apply for Student Aid." Applications for Fall/Winter 2021/22 will be available starting August 2nd, 2021.
For University of Guelph-Humber (UofGH) students:
For any UofGH student, they will have to download and complete the paper application form by going to Guelph Student Work Study - steps and processes are found on this site for UGH students. This application must be filled out every semester.
For more information about posting on campus jobs, Work Study hiring manager resources, and processing student employee contracts, visit:
All contracts will be created in the Human Resource Management System (HRMS) and processed by HR.
Hiring Managers are responsible for:
- Creating and submitting contracts in HRMS.
- Ensuring the information entered on the contracts are accurate (rate of pay, FOAP).
- Communicating with students to be hired to ensure they create a profile in HRMS and upload their banking information and Work Study Approval Form.
Contracts submitted in HRMS will not be processed by HR without the Work Study Approval Form. Students must go into HRMS and upload the Approval Form themselves.
Processing Work Study and Non Work Study Student Employees on HRMS
When processing student hires on HRMS, please ensure you're using the following Requisition Templates on HRMS for processing student employees. This ensures students are being paid from your appropriate Accounts.
When selecting a Requisition Template, select the correct option below:
Students working 24hrs or less (For fall/winter/summer term contracts)
- "NFT - Student - Work Study Contract" - Work Study Approved Student employees
- "NFT - Student Contract (Non Work Study)" - Non Work Study Eligible Student employees (ie. international students or part-time students)
Students working 35hrs or more (For summer term contracts only)
- "NFT - Appendix G (Summer Student) Work Study Contract" - Work Study Approved Student employees
- "NFT - Appendix G (Summer Student) Contract" - Non Work Study Eligible Student employees (ie. international students or part-time students)
For more information about hiring using HRMS, please contact the HR Support Centre (416.675.5001) and/or visit humber.ca/hrms
For more information on On-Boarding and Off-Boarding Student Employee Contracts on HRMS, please refer to page 6 of the Work Study Program Hiring Manager Guide [PDF]. Scroll down to Resources for more Onboarding Resources.